Friday, March 23, 2012

CUBE STEAK WITH PEPPERS & ONIONS

Have you ever wondered why cube steak is called cube steak?  I have.  I mean, it's also called minute steak in some areas, but here it's cube steak.  And it's not cube-shaped at all.  I have noticed the little cube-shaped indentations on the meat, but I wasn't sure if that was where the name came from.  It usually comes from the beef round and has been run through a mechanical tenderizer or has been pounded by a tenderizing mallet to produce the cube-shaped indentations.  And that is where the name came from.  I usually stick to my tried and true Bistec con Cebollas (Cubed Steak with Onions), but I serve it with white rice, and yesterday I was running low on rice.  So, I went on a search for a new recipe.  There aren't too many out there that I liked, but this one was good.

CUBE STEAK WITH PEPPERS & ONIONS
Adapted from Cooks.com

1 lb. cube steak (3-4 steaks)
1/2 c flour
Kosher salt, to taste
Freshly ground pepper, to taste
5 Tbsp cooking oil
1 med. onion, chopped
1 med. green pepper, cut into strips
1 Tbsp brown sugar
1/2 tsp dry mustard
1/2 C catsup
1/4 C water
2 Tbsp cider vinegar
2 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce

Add salt and pepper to flour.  Dredge meat in flour.  Brown in oil with onions and pepper strips. Flip meat over when brown on one side. Stir in brown sugar, dry mustard, catsup, water, vinegar and Worcestershire sauce.  Cover and simmer 15 minutes.  

MUSIC TO COOK BY


Until next time, Happy Cooking!  :)



"Be careful with your words. Once they are said, they can only be forgiven, not forgotten." - Unknown






CONTACT ME

0 comments:

AddThis

Pin It